Sunday, June 13, 2010

What's This "Blogging" Thing, Again?

Been a long time since I posted anything on this site. In simple terms, I let it slide because other things held my interest in the meantime. I also have been very busy trying to get my life in order. So for both of my readers, here's the update:

The last 4 months have been a kind of personal cleansing for me. I have completed the first 12 weeks of a 30-week marathon training program, which included a 10 kilometer/6.2 mile run yesterday. I actually did 12k/7.5 miles, and my knees are letting me know their displeasure. But I'll heal them and carry on. The IMT Des Moines Marathon is in October, 4 days after I turn 40, and if Steve deOssie could do it, so can I.

I really need to get back on the nutrition program, though. I haven't tracked what I eat in a while, and I'm not losing weight anymore. I am certain there's a direct link between those two. And I need to be a lot lighter because I feel I'll damage myself doing a marathon.

But I feel obligated to go for it at this point. I've had too many people tell me they feel inspired by what I'm doing and are using my example to kick-start their own lives again. And I think to people like Matty Long of the FDNY, who survived a horrific bus-on-bicycle accident to run the NYC Marathon. Compared to people like him, I have no excuses.

So I'll soldier on, and I'll still be riding my bike in the meantime. More to come soon.

2 comments:

Angie Jackson said...

Nice to see you writing again, and the cleanse seems to have been good for you. :)

Unknown said...

"I've had too many people tell me they feel inspired by what I'm doing and are using my example to kick-start their own lives again."

Well, "obligated" sounds icky, but, yeah. :-P Sorry, for getting inspired. ;-)