Friday, March 7, 2008

Iowa Marriage Amendment pt. 2

Well, I got a form letter back from Governor Culver today, in response to my email about opposing the Iowa Marriage Amendment. His response, and my snide commentary follow:

Dear Paul:
(so far, so good, correct spelling and punctuation)

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the issue of same sex marriage.

Like many Iowans, I believe that marriage is betwen a man and a woman. (I don't like the gay stuff, unless I rent a video.) I expressed that opinion in the course of my campaign for Governor; it remains my belief.

I also believe that all Iowa citizens are entitled to equal treatment under our laws. (Then why not equality in marriage, Gov. Contradition?) The Culver-Judge Administration (fanfare, please) has supported the expansion of our civil rights laws to prohibit discrimination in our State based on a person's sexual orientation. (I don't know how MUCH support he gave, but hey, Iowa really is better than some states in that area).

The issue of same sex marriage has been addressed by the Polk County District Court, which held that our current statute defining marriage as an exclusive relationship between a man and a woman is unconstitutional. That decision has been appealed and will ultimately be decided by the Iowa Supreme Court.

In response to that development, I have urged Iowans to place confidence in the legal process. We should await the final determination of this issue by our courts. At that time, we can decide what action, if any, should be taken.

(Translation: I ain't a-gonna stick my neck out on this one, as I was elected under the "Anyone but Jim Nussle for Governor" ticket, and my time in office is tenuous enough as it is.)

Thank you again for taking time (yadda, yadda, yadda; more correct spelling and punctuation)

Chester J. Culver
Governor

(Well, at least he's not a Leviticus-quoting ultra-con. So, hit me, High Court. Do the right thing)

1 comment:

Sean Fritz said...

I decided against cursing after I posted that.

The point I'll leave is "If he's a friend, one doesn't need many enemies."

Listening to him makes me a bit embarrassed for the Democratic party.