Thursday, July 10, 2008

Interview with Leonard Susskind

I really hate it when people use terms like "quashed" and "war" and "battles" to describe scientific striving, but I guess they have to sell books.

Anyway, this quote better describes the gestalt:

What was the final outcome of your competing theories?

The short answer is that Stephen was wrong and I was right. But that is a tremendous oversimplification and I would not like history to see it that way. Stephen asked an audacious, bold, and very brave question —do black holes erase information? Just realizing that there was a question took profound insight. It was enough to make anyone’s reputation.

In other words, my theory proved correct, but my honorable opponent has nothing to be ashamed of.

This isn't the first time Hawking has had to--literally--pay up. He had a wager with Kip Thorne of CalTech a few years ago which he conceded. "I bought (Thorne) a year's subscription to Penthouse, much to his wife's disgust."

No comments: