Tuesday, July 1, 2008

George Carlin: Long Overdue

I was out of town last week when all the tributes to George Carlin were going on. I actually was in a hotel room in Colorado Springs watching Larry King Live for the retrospective. I was suffering (bad) from a rib-cage injury from falling off the bike a week prior to that, and believe me, watching a guy that funny with damaged ribs HURTS.

But it was worth it. More than one commentator (including Robin Williams) called Carlin "the living embodiment of the First Amendment." Nobody called anybody on their BS with greater skill, more humor, or less fear than George Carlin. He paved the way for so many comics and commentators (not the least of whom is Keith Olbermann, in my book) that we all owe him a debt of gratitude.

These are the kind of people whom I hold in the greatest respect: those who speak truth to power.

And now, ladies and gentlemen...George Carlin, one last time. (First two NSFW, final one safe)

No comments: